Police brutality: shooting of Michael Brown
Hundreds of protests have occurred over police shootings in the last several years, beginning most notably with the protests over the shooting of Michael Brown by police officer Darren Wilson on August 9, 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri. These protests have ranged from peaceful gatherings to full-scale violent riots complete with assaults on police officers and the burning of buildings and businesses.
1. What were the purpose of these protests? Were the protests conducted legally?
2. What were the more prevalent complaints from protestors who took part in the demonstrations?
3. What were the major safety concerns faced by officers during these protests?
4. What were the end results of the protests / what action was taken by law enforcement, if any?
5. Overall, how well do you believe police have handled this unprecedented amount of protests and riots in recent years? What, if anything, do you believe the police could do to improve the situation? Defend your response with scholarly research.